Saturday, March 26, 2011

What I Could Do

I've written quite often about how I don't like where I live and that I should get out and go to a big city where people are more diverse and there are more opportunities.  I have an apartment in Atlanta now and while I really hate admitting this, I was wrong.

There is an overwhelming number of assholes here.  I hadn't thought about that.  I'm an asshole, but usually only in my head.  Too many of the people here are assholes out loud.  I am a social person and I can't help that.  But I prefer to be a recluse when everyone around me can't stop yapping about themselves.  The competition here is so fierce that nothing gets done and people get hung out to dry instead of properly informed and trained.

Today I'm reading my Eclipse IDE: Pocket Guide in preparation for beginning Android application development.  My plan is to have such a grasp on that platform that I could work for anyone, from anywhere - including my house in the country.  I am also working through Hello, Android and then off to two other books on the platform.  The last time I started working on Android I began coding on the first day of study and got locked into an all-night hacking session trying to work out my project while researching the SDK.  Not anymore.  I'm giving myself the fundamental education so I don't have to do so much hacking and have so many problems at once.  If you're interested in this progress, keep a watch out at blog.twoleg.com.  I expect to release a simple app for free just to get the hang of it.  It probably won't be anything groundbreaking - probably an enhanced flashlight application or something.  Not a whole lot of design considerations in that realm.  I will try to post progress at least weekly.

Toodles!

No comments: